During Dreamforce this year, 135,000 people attended, and the online conversation was massive. Did you know that IBM actually dominated at least one of the many online conversations? Do you know why?
At least two reasons:
(1) As Marshall Kirkpatrick of Little Bird tweeted, IBM Smarter Planet has 5 times the online connections among “Internet of Things” experts. 5 times. Why? Because IBM has spent years investing in online relationships between subject matter experts within and outside of IBM.
(2) Salesforce encourages conference participants to hold their conversations in Chatter — the company’s product for social collaboration. On one hand, that approach gets everyone at the conference using the product. On the other hand:
- there are a lot of people left out of the conversation
- it has zero impact on organic search, and
- it is challenging for participants to leverage their participation in that Chatter instance for development of their personal online influence, beyond that one Chatter instance.
Question for you: If your competitor uses their employees to influence the conversations around your event, or your category, or your brand… how will you react? Are you prepared?